The Contra Costa County Historical Society’s Annual Luncheon and Meeting this year will be held at the historic Diablo Country Club in Diablo, California. The Country Club was established in May 1914 on land purchased by local developer Robert Noble Burgess, who founded the Club at the foot of Mt. Diablo, near Danville.
“Burgess … found the future architects of Pebble Beach and the Olympic Club to build a world-class golf course on a property that included orchards, community gardens, a chalet, the Red Horse Tavern, a dairy, stock farm and a post office. The unique community in Diablo was served by an electric rail that ran 28 miles west to the Berkeley pier” (www.diablocc.org/History).
This year’s program, “Mount Diablo,” will feature guest speakers known for their extensive research and knowledge about the Mount Diablo region and its significance to our County.
David Mackesey is the retired president of one of the world’s largest wine companies. He has served as a director of Diablo Country Club during the past six years and as president from 2012-2014. He is currently the club historian and the overseas historian for the Carnoustie Golf Club. In addition, he is the author of “From Country Estate to Country Club: the History of Diablo Country Club.”
Seth M. Adams is Land Conservation Director for Save Mount Diablo. In 1988, he was the East Bay organization’s first staff member. He focuses on advanced policy, land use and advocacy, government relations, acquisition projects, and educational and media programs. Among his accomplishments are his participation in the preservation of tens of thousands of acres; the creation of Urban Limit Lines; his aid in developing hundreds of millions of dollars of conservation funding; the East Contra Costa County Habitat Conservation Plan and the Concord Naval Weapons Station Reuse Plan; new recreational trails such as the 30-mile Diablo Trail; and the reintroduction of endangered peregrine falcons to Mt. Diablo.
The Society invites members and non-members alike to attend this event to be held 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 3. The cost is $35 and reservations may be made by visiting the Society’s website, www.cocohistory.com, or emailing email@example.com.
The History Center is open Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., and the third Saturday of each month from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. This month, on the third Saturday, Nov. 19, the Society is holding a Scan-a-thon for those who have historic pictures and larger format items they would like scanned. For information, call the History Center at (925) 229-1042 or email as above.