Beware poisonous mushrooms in area parks

It may look tasty, but don’t be fooled. This mushroom – nicknamed “The Western Destroying Angel” – is one of the most toxic mushrooms in the world, and it’s growing right here in Martinez. (TRENT PEARCE / Courtesy)
It may look tasty, but don’t be fooled. This mushroom – nicknamed “The Western Destroying Angel” – is one of the most toxic mushrooms in the world, and it’s growing right here in Martinez. (TRENT PEARCE / Courtesy)

MARTINEZ, Calif. – Due to the recent rains, the East Bay Regional Park District is seeing a surge in poisonous mushrooms growing in our parks. They’re reminding visitors that it’s illegal to collect mushrooms – or any plants – found in our parks, and pet owners especially should keep their dogs away from mushrooms.

The Bay Area is home to two of the world’s most toxic mushrooms – Amanita phalloides (the Death Cap) and Amanita ocreata (the Western Destroying Angel). Both are robust, handsome mushrooms that grow near oak trees, and both contain lethal toxins.

Amanita phalloides (the Death Cap) is a medium to large mushroom that typically has a greenish-gray cap, white gills, a white ring around the stem, and a large white sac at the base of the stem. It fruits early in the fall, usually right after the first rains. Though the Death Cap is mainly associated with oak trees, it has been found growing with other hardwoods. It was accidentally introduced to North America on the roots of European cork oaks, and is now slowly colonizing the West Coast.

Amanita ocreata (the Western Destroying Angel) is a medium to large mushroom that usually has a creamy white cap, white gills, a white ring around the stem that disappears with age, and a thin white sac at the base. It fruits from late winter into spring, and is associated exclusively with oaks. Unlike the Death Cap, it is a native California mushroom.

Aalerina marginata. (TRENT PEARCE / Courtesy)
Aalerina marginata. (TRENT PEARCE / Courtesy)

Both of these species contain amatoxins, a group of molecules that inhibit cellular metabolism in many animals. In mammals, the liver and kidneys are typically the first organs affected after ingestion. Symptoms don’t usually appear until up to 12 hours after consumption, beginning as severe gastrointestinal distress and progressing to liver and renal failure if treatment is not sought immediately.

While these two species are responsible for most cases of mushroom poisonings in California, deadly amatoxins can be found in Galerina and Lepiota species as well, both of which occur in the Bay Area.

Park visitors should remember that mushroom collecting is not allowed anywhere in the East Bay Regional Park District. If you are legally harvesting mushrooms elsewhere, learn these two species before any others and do not let them end up on your dinner table. Pet owners are encouraged to keep their animals under close watch during the winter months, and contact a veterinarian immediately if you suspect your pet has eaten a toxic mushroom.

About tribune-admin

Check Also

Martinez comes together for a peaceful Sunday protest march

Putting both the drama and trauma of a recent series of racist incidents the past …