By DANNY YOEONO
Pacheco Tobacco Company opens
Pacheco, 1874: The Pacheco Tobacco Company was incorporated, with a capital stock of $10,000, for the purpose of leasing or purchasing land, as well as curing and manufacturing tobacco. (CCCHS)
Ferry Street Canteen closes
Ferry Street in 1946: Next to the Hot Dog Depot and across from the old train station, the Martinez Troops-In-Transit-Canteen closes its doors. During WWII, 401,322 traveling servicemen and women, escorts and children, were given rest and refreshment by community-supported volunteer hostesses at the Canteen.